John J. Smith
John J. Smith is a Magna Cum Laude graduate of Thomas M. Cooley Law School. He received his Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree from Cooley in 1985, and was admitted to the State Bar of Michigan in 1985. He also earned a Bachelors of Arts Degree from the University of Michigan in 1975.
Mr. Smith has been in private practice since he left law school and has been involved in litigation for that entire time.
Mr. Smith focuses his practice primarily in the area of family law and any matters relating to divorce, custody of children, parenting time, property settlement, child support and spousal support. Mr. Smith regularly handles matters before Family Court Judges in Ingham, Clinton, Eaton, Jackson, Shiawassee, Gratiot, Ionia, Branch, Calhoun, and Livingston Counties. He has also intermittently handled matters in Grand Traverse, Gladwin, Iosco, Clare, Isabella, and Berrien County.
One of Mr. Smith’s initial functions is to ensure that people understand their rights regarding all aspects of family law in order to ensure that they do not simply accept initial offers made to them without determining whether or not they are entitled to receive significantly better results. A common mistake made by men is “doing nothing” when the wife or mother leave the home and take his children with her. Doing nothing in that situation can often have devastating and irreversible consequences. Speaking with an attorney before the children are gone or immediately thereafter allows Mr. Smith to create solutions to problems before it is too late.
Mr. Smith also focuses on counseling men in divorce cases to assist them in eliminating some of the common mistakes that are made prior to the time a case is filed such as whether a party should move out of a house prior to filing in order to allow the situation the “cool down.” Mr. Smith has successfully represented innumerable clients in all aspects of family law and can fully assist his clients in navigating the turbulent waters involved in that area of the law.
The lawyers in Mr. Smith’s office specialize in representing clients in family law matters and have over 80 years of combined experience. The courteous and helpful support staff at Bailey, Smith & Bailey, P.C. is also very skilled in family law matters and has over 40 years of combined experience aiding the attorneys and clients.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Family Law
- Child Support
- Custody & Visitation
- Criminal Law
- Michigan, 1985
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1986
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1988
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Lansing, Michigan
- J.D. magna cum laude - 1985
- Honors: Recipient, Distinguished Student Award
- Law Review: Thomas M. Cooley Law Review, Editor-in-Chief
- University of Michigan, Flint, Michigan
- B.A. - 1975
- Major: Urban Studies
- Minor: Political Science
- Adjunct Faculty, Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 1985 - 1988
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan, Family Law and Criminal Law Sections, Member
- Ingham County Bar Association, Member
- Michigan Trial Lawyers Association, Sustaining Member
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School Alumni Association, President, 1989 - 1991
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School Alumni Association, Executive Committee, Board of Governors, 1987 - 1993
- Economic Development Corporation, Williamstown, Michigan, Board of Directors, 1993 - 1997
- Handicappers Small Business Association, Board of Directors, 1989 - 1992
- Rotary Club of Lansing, Rotary Foundation Committee Member, 1986 - 1992
- Rotary Club of Williamston, Member, 1997 - 1999
- Michigan State University Extension 4-H Youth Programs, East Lansing, MI, Capitol Experience Youth Program Mentor, 1989 - 2000
- Michigan State University Extension 4-H Youth Programs, East Lansing, MI, Careers Unlimited Youth Program, 1989 - 1996